Friday, May 08, 2009

Zombies: A Commentary

It is time for me to explain myself.

So, my bros and I catch a lot of flack for reading Marvel Zombies. I can understand that. After all, it seems like a hokey and stupid way to cash in on people who happen to be both fans of Marvel Comics and zombie franchises.

It is, however, much more than that.

Marvel Zombies represents everything I've loved about comics since I was a kid. Sure, I enjoy the Watchmen and The Killing Joke-like comics that are out there. But every so often, I want to read a comic for the sheer fun of it. Is that so wrong?

Zombies is tons of fun. From the opening fight between Magneto and zombie Cap (or Colonel America, as he is known in this universe) to the carnage filled bloodbath wrought by Machine Man, the entire journey is just fun. Even the crossover Zombies vs. the Army of Darkness turned out to be enjoyable.

Why is this?

Partly because the series hasn't progressed a lot yet. It's only seen 4 trades and a hardcover, and the second issue of the newest series was just released yesterday. Sure, it ties in to Ultimate Fantastic Four (thankfully, it strays back into the regular Marvel universe, leaving Ultimate far behind) but the trade Dead Days explains all that plus the bits that tie into Black Panther. No crazy continuity to deal with. Just zombies.

It looks like they are trying to make Morbius the main character for now. I'm OK with that. He's a well written character. Don't get me wrong, the first couple of trades were a bit campy, but with Zombies 3 the new writer/artist team really kicked it up a notch (BAM! notwithstanding). I recommend the series to anyone who wishes to return to the old, fun roots of Marvel Comics, back before everything got so gritty and dark. (I realize the Zombies franchise seems to be one of the darkest yet, but it somehow manages to stay lighthearted throughout.)

I promise, you will not be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. I'll have to give no.3 a shot.

    I've been getting the last three Black Panther issues and I've got to know how he ties into this. Seems like he's everywhere in Marvel but nobody knows! He's married to Storm now--this blew my mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want some Black Panther action, pick up number 2. He's the main character, and it takes place 40 years in the future where Wakanda is the only remaining civilization. Zombie Panther is just as cool as regular Panther.

    ReplyDelete